Monday, May 7, 2007

Mama's Recipe Fakes: Annie's Woodstock Dressing


"The thick, full flavor of this new dressing might take you back to the “summer of love” when “three days of peace and music” in Aug. ‘69 changed our culture forever. With its smooth, luxurious texture and hearty, hip tomato & nutritional-yeast flavor, this tangy dressing with nutty characteristics (but no nuts!) is groovy on spinach salad, pasta, couscous, rice, pork chops, as an embellishment for soups or a sophisticated topper for baked potatoes. Also a delicious non-animal source of vitamin B-12. Dairy-free, No Added Sweetener, Vegan"
I'm a big fan of Annie's Naturals salad dressings. What I'm not a fan of is the inflated price charged by my local grocers for a little 8 oz. bottle of the stuff. Can you believe at my local store an 8 oz. bottle costs $4? - That's $64 per gallon! ( Help! Methinks I've been robbed!) It's only $2.49 on the Annie's web-site. Of course, buying from the web-site will also include a shipping fee, so I just can't seem to win. My only course of action is to try to make it myself. That's just what I've done. Below is my recipe for Annie's Naturals Woodstock Dressing (my favorite for dipping raw veggies in).
1/3 cup warm water
3 pieces of sun dried tomato (not oil packed)
*soak tomatoes in water until slightly softened
1/3 cup EVOO
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
5 T. soy sauce
3 T. nutritional yeast flakes
2 T. tahini
3 large cloves garlic
*add all ingredients, including tomatoes and soaking water, to a blender
*blend all ingredients until tomatoes are pureed and mixture is emulsified
*refrigerate until ready to use
If you're not into making your own dressings, or you would like to purchase something not available locally, I would strongly recommend that you visit the Annie's Naturals web-site where you can purchase items individually or by the case. You get a discount for ordering a case.
In addition to salad dressings, you can purchase Annie's ketchup, mustards ( I love Annie's Organic Dijon Mustard), marinades and flavored oils.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Heck that dressing is good!
Thanks for the recipe... I'm going to try it tonight.

Elizabeth Leigh said...

Made this dressing last night. I felt it was a bit heavy on the soy sauce, I would probably use only half this much next time, or even less. But still WONDERFUL flavors! Thank you:)

Grizzly Whisperer said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the comments too...I'll try it with a bit less soy sauce, and add more if needed.

Anonymous said...

This dressing recipe is excellent! I couldn't help but to make two batches so I don't run out too quickly! Thanks!

Christine L said...

Thanks for creating this recipe - so close but better! I made a double batch, but kept the soy sauce at the same amount for a single batch and it was just about perfect (maybe still a bit too much soy sauce). I also put 4x sun dried tomatoes.

Unknown said...

Annie's ingredients call for tomato paste but it is missing from your recipe. Did you find your sundried tomato was sufficient? Also, what exactally do you mean by 3 "pieces" of sundried tomato? 3 halves or strips? I have both forms in my pantry. Thanks, I agree this is the "best" dressing.

Unknown said...

Wow... I am in the same boat as you were. My husband loves the stuff on everything, and it is expensive as heck! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Joy2bme said...

Hi KatyKat~ when I first made the dressing the ingredients on the Annie's bottle listed sun dried tomatoes. It now lists tomato paste and I have used that since. It's a little quicker to pop open a can of tomato paste than to wait for the sun dried tomatoes to soak and then puree them. Either type of tomato works fine.

Joy2bme said...

Oh, and I agree with those who have commented about cutting back on the soy sauce. I don't know if I typed the wrong amount in or if I was just hankering for some soy sauce the day I originally made this.

Rob Lewis said...

My bottle of Annie's dressing shows both sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste in the ingredients.

Grazona said...

I made this today with all ingredients I had on hand at home and it's delicious! I used sun dried tomatoes that were in jarred in oil with no problem. I rinsed them off first. I added an additional garlic clove and cut the soy sauce to 4T. My only adjustments next time would be even less soy sauce and less canola oil.