Sunday, May 6, 2007

"Jack and Jill" by Louisa May Alcott


Hhmmm...this is a tough book to review due to the fact that I just flat out didn't like it. I actually couldn't even finish it. I was expecting some sugary sweetness which is customary to the time period in which it was written, however this is just over the top in syrupy sentiment. I genuinely like the genteel manners and speech of this time period, which is why I was so surprised by my not liking this book. It was just page after page of creme puff cliches with a cherry on top!
In addition to the never ending cheesiness, there was the chapter in which the boys of the book decided they would be much better off if they were more like the girls. It is said in this chapter that even the mother of one of the boys (she, a highly respected character in the book) would rather have her son socializing with the civilized girls than roughhousing with the uncouth boys. This is a pet peeve of mine in modern society - the feminization of boys. Boys need to be boys, and girls need to be girls, and all of us can have decent manners without compromising our God-given gender.
Anyway, I was prepared to be charmed by this book, but was woefully disappointed.

No comments: